35-year-old Maksud Khan had for three months stomach pains and when he arrived at the hospital the doctors found out that he had 263 metal coins in his stomach. The doctors were shocked when they discovered the seven kilos of foreign objects in his stomach at the endoscopy. They went immediately to the operating room and they extracted 100 nails, 263 coins and a hefty piece of rusted iron shackle, glass shards, dozens of razor blades and stones from his stomach.
“The patient was complaining of stomach pain, so we thought of getting an endoscopy done. We were shocked to discover coins, nails, and nut-bolts in his stomach. It’s the first time we’ve come across such a case in our career. This man looks mentally unstable as no sane person would do something like this,” said surgical team leader Dr Priyank Sharma.
According to another doctor who assisted at operation, it “was done in the nick of the time as some of the nails lodged had pierced his stomach, caused bleeding and resulted in loss of hemoglobin.” His family said that he developed a habit of swallowing metal items, because he thought that will no longer suffer from depression. It was a miracle that he survived and now he must keep his promise to all, to stop swallowing metal objects and anything which doesn’t belong in the digestive tract.